Posts Tagged occupation
‘If people knew about Twitter, there’d be no need for newspapers’ – UCL protest online guru, Jess Riches.
By Alex Webb
Twenty-year-old Jessica Riches is the voice behind @ucloccupation, the Twitter account which served as the voice for students occupying the University College London campus in protest at the surge in student fees. The account garnered more than 5,000 followers, and the second-year English student has since been hailed by the Guardian as a “Twitter guru” and addressed conferences on how to use Twitter.
In this interview, she explains how she fell into the role, how Twitter was used to report events first-hand and what role it can play in influencing opinion. She also recalls how she nearly had a breakdown when, mid-occupation, the main account was hacked by opponents and prank messages were posted.
Did you start with any sort of strategy?
Did you feel a lot of pressure? (Jess tells how a mistake she made led to the decision of the NUS President Aaron Porter to resign)
What sort of influence does Twitter have?
How much more reliable actually is Twitter as a primary news source?
Read the rest of this entry »
- RT @sonymusicuk: RT & follow for a chance to #WIN tickets to @MileyCyrus' #BangerzTour at the @Phones4uArena on May 14th! #WinMileyTix http… 4 years ago
- RT @syco: LADIES & GENTS…the time has come! @LittleMix give you the #SALUTEVIDEO! Watch: youtu.be/Kjpa0SMOug0 #PreOrderSalute http://t.co… 4 years ago
- RT @syco: Good luck to @onedirection's @Real_Liam_Payne, @Louis_Tomlinson, @zaynmalik, @Harry_Styles & @NiallOfficial who start #WWATour TO… 4 years ago
- RT @syco: It's Friday, it's Easter weekend and @onedirection's #YouAndIVideo is out today. Good things come in threes it seems! http://t.co… 4 years ago
- RT @SYCO_NEWS: If you haven't heard already (where have you been?) @onedirection's #YouAndI video is out in 3 days! Who's excited? http://t… 4 years ago
you generated content7/7 Afghanistan army Ashton Kutcher bbc Billy Carnegie blog cablegate celebrities censorship charing cross citizen citizen journalism CNN iReport comment communities community content dailymail Daily Telegraph debate Demotix Donald McMaster douglas rushkoff eastern europe Emily Bell generated gervais gossip Guardian harassment huffington post IED Iraq japan journalism legal libel london london underground Mail Online moderation money NBC news newspapers novinky online journalism participation Paul Bradshaw Peter McQuaid post power responsibility ricky gervais Royal Regiment of Scotland social media soldier telegraph tfl the times tsunami tube twitter ugc underground user user generated content video why wifi wikileaks writing for free yougeneration Youtube